Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Life, My Experience

Life in New Mexico was great!

Loved my life there. I started school late because my mother wanted us all home schooled, however when it came down to actually teaching, she had her shortcomings. It wasn't all bad, but it wasn't the best either. I had friends, though few because they were limited to church and the neighborhood. She did her best, but in the grand scheme of things, in the end, I didn't know how to read very well. I had to start from the first grade at the age of eight. This was both a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing was the I was two years older than everyone else, so they mostly looked up to me, the bad thing was that I felt kinda dumb because I didn't know how to read very well. I felt that the other kids were making fun of me. But in the end it wasn't this way.

By the time I finished the first grade I realized that I was learning rather quickly and got really good grades. I kept a 4.0 GPA for the entire first and second years of school. However, my third year I was transferred to a different school in a different area of town closer to my home and therefore had to adjust. This caused a period of time where my grades faltered a little. This had something to do with my home life as well, but I was able to separate the two and maintain my composure at school and anywhere else outside of my home.

I've always felt that school came easily to me and I believe this is due in part to the fact that I started school at a later age. Being older I was able to concentrate more and comprehend what was happening because my brain functions were more developed. My grades never faltered more than an A/B GPA, all the way through grade school and high school.

As I've said before, I was an an exemplary student and son. But because school was so easy I never exceeded to excel more than what I could get away with. I could have had straight A's if I wanted, but I was never motivated by anyone else to exceed, therefore I did what was needed to pass and get good enough grades and nothing more.

I had great friends, some I still keep in contact with today. My friends Jason, Nadia, and Denise are three people that I've known the longest from school. It's been almost 20 years since the first time I met them in the first grade. Because of this we share so many memories and good times. It's been years since I've seen any of them, but I keep tabs on them through Facebook.

I had two favorite teachers in grade school. Mrs. Osborne and Mrs Krueger, I also like Mrs. Springfield from California. These teachers excelled in their teaching methods and I will never forget them. Their influences in my life have helped shape the man I am today. Not to say other people did not have a had in this. But a teachers influence on a child is very powerful. You may only see this person for one year, but you see them everyday, for longer periods of time than your parents or siblings, it's understandable that these people help you grow and learn to become better citizens.

I was blessed enough to have parents that believed in private education. The Seventh-day Adventist church may have many faults, but one thing that I've always appreciated was the schooling system and the availability of several locations all over the nation. Though they may not be recognized by the rest of the civil world, these teachers employed by SDA schools are some of the best teachers in the world. I have no doubt of this. And I hold this true to all grade school through University level educators. I would like to take this time to name just a few of the educators that I hold in high esteem and thank them for their service as educators and mentors to us all and generations to come.

Mrs. Osborne
Mrs. Krueger
Mrs. Springfield
Mr. Sarly
Ms. Nelson
Mrs. Dudley
Ms. Macey
Mr. Walters
Dr. Dennis
Mr. Haloviak
Mrs. Kim
Ms. Price
Ms. Pennington
Mr. Chadwick
Ms. Benedict
Ms. Boner
And anyone else I might have missed.
I hold you all in great esteem and am so grateful to God that I experienced you in my life. Thank you from the depths of my heart! :-)  

6 comments:

  1. Ms. Boner. Did you toss in that last name just to see if people were paying attention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, no, I think I spelled it wrong. lol I think it's Bonner, hehe.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my son, thanks for trying to be kind...you manage to be very kind to your father...you think you know your father but you don't...you don't know me either...thanks to your suggestion, I now have a blog! Here it is: itiyajoy.blogspot.com. I will be telling my testimony...I will be kind in talking about your father, with God's help, because it is the way The Lord would want it. Love you always, mom.

      Delete
    2. I was not being kind to him. The fact is he was not present for most of my childhood. The fact that I don't mention him very often I felt showed this. I will def be reading your Blog. Love you so much! Your son.

      Delete