Monday, October 15, 2012

Sins of the Mother!

Mother's are great! As is mine.
The relationship with my mother has been challenging to say the least. And before I continue, the reason I will have more to say about my mother than my father is because I've always been closer to my mother, and one tends to have more to say about those closest to their heart. I am no different.

I'm a very calm person, always have been. Even my mother would tell me stories that I was such a quiet child. Though some say that you have to look out for the quiet ones. And she was right. Though I am quiet and easy going, if you push my buttons the right way, I become like a dormant volcano that finally erupts. It's harsh and fierce and causes damage in it's path. I've erupted twice in my life, and unfortunately both times it was against my mother. Not to say I haven't blown up since then, but they have never been as fierce as these two times.

I love my mother with all my heart, however there are aspects of her that I do not like. First, she is never wrong (In her mind). Second, she loves to yell, Third, she manipulates with out meaning to, Fourth, she is very incredibly judgmental, And lastly, very self-centered. Let me give examples.

I remember one time she asked me to bake cookies for her to take to this ladies luncheon to show off to her friends at church. I was 16/17 at the time, I hadn't gone to culinary school yet. To make a long story short, I got up early, had my little sister help me and we baked all day. When my mother got back from wherever she was, she was not happy with my baking skills. She blew up at me and said something to the fact that she couldn't take these because she would be embarrassed in front of her friends, etc. Instead of thanking me and appreciating my effort, she was ungrateful and only worried about how she would look in front of her friends. Not half an hour later after our altercation, she tripped on the steps as she was leaving and broke her pinky toe...When I heard her scream in pain I went to see what happened, and after I saw, I simply turned back around and went back to my room without bothering to help her up. This is how angry I was with her. I don't regret my decision, but I did feel bad for her and made her a feel better card. I forgave her, but as I've said before, I never forget.  The whole point I'm trying to make is that to this day she feels she was in the right. No joke...

I think this example actually encompasses all the attributes that I dislike about my mother. Therefore, I won't bother you with any others, but I do have them.

There are several things I love about my mother, at the time I learned them, I didn't appreciate it, but now I do. By the time I was 12 years old I knew how to cook, clean a house, bake (somewhat), sew, knit, and crochet. I could wash my own clothes, and iron them as well. For this I'm eternally grateful to my mother. It has made me so independent and a better person. Though she has had her moments, I know as I have always known that my mother never stopped loving me. In our family we always expressed our love for each-other everyday and now every time we talk on the phone. This my mother always insisted and am grateful.

My mother has also been an inspiration to me. She has had so many different jobs since I can remember, and she never gave up until she met her goal of finally becoming a registered nurse. It was a long and arduous journey, but she persevered and I commend her for that and hold her in the highest esteem for this was no small matter. 

As in any relationship between two people, especially a mother and son, we have had our ups and downs, but with God's help and guidance we have maintained a steady and healthy relationship that continues to this day. I will always love my mother and though I may not always agree with the way she acts or is, I will never stop loving her. God could NOT have sent me a better mother to guide in His ways and teach me the essentials to survive this sinful world. As I said in the last paragraph of my blog about my father, I wish here the same. That when I have children, I will not repeat the sins of my mother! But I do hope to teach them what she has taught me, and so much more.

To be continued...

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Josh...I had no idea that this is how you saw me.... But, I would like to interject, that I am glad you are expressing your real feelings now...I would like to tell my side of "the sins" of your mother, if I may... There was a time when I thought you were my perfect child. After, my Jeremy, keeping me very busy, I was so happy with my nearly perfect son, you. My relationship with you was the easiest thing in the world. Apparently I didn't really know you! I don't understand how you could say that you were closer to me or even close to me at all...I feel that I can't say that now, that I was close to you, because I didn't really know you. But, I did think then, before now, that we were close! I think that if one would be close to someone, that one would tend to have more kind things to say about that person and that one would say the truth, be what it may, in a kind way. I believe you tried, but.... My Son, My son, I so regret that I was not there for you when you were growing up...The Lord knows, that I would give anything to be able to go back and make it up to you...I want you to know that there is nothing you could do that would make me stop loving you! I will continue later, giving my side...bye for now. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said that you have erupted twice in your life, and that both times it was against me, your mother...why is that? I feel that the fact that you erupted at me is significant...can you answer that question?
    It does not make sense to me to tell you that I love you with all my heart, and then say that there are aspects of you that I do not like. And then to say: he is never reasonable, he loves to hurt my feelings, he manipulates, he is incredibly immature, and he is very self-centered! Why does it not make sense? Two reasons...when I read what you wrote about me I did not feel loved at all, by you, my feelings were hurt, and I felt that you were describing someone else! You see, I described you by things that you are not...I believe you are a very reasonable person, who does not like to hurt my feelings or other's feelings, who does not manipulate, who is actually very mature for his age, and who is quite a humanitarian! I don't know where or why you got the idea that I am never wrong (In my mind)...I mostly thought I could never do anything right...I apoligized in your dad and my marriage...I can remember 2 times that your dad apoligized sincerely to me, in all our marriage, and both times he took it back!
    The truth be told, I hated to yell! I know I yelled, especially the year before and the year after Franci was born. My mom yelled at me when I was little, so guess what I did? Yell at you guys...but something that perhaps you did not know...I hated sounding like my mother so I would pray on my knees pleading with the Lord to please help me not to scream at my kids, before I would come out of my room I would do this, sometimes crying for the Lord to take my anger away, I felt that I was not angry at you kids but I did not know why I got so angry, now I know. It took over a year for the Lord to help me with the yelling...it didn't happen as bad or as often after that.
    The last three, I don't think describes me...a manipulator knows what they are doing, I tended to give people the benefit of the doubt, and you saying that I was very self-centered, really cuts me deep...yes I know I was selfish, I was not perfect by far, I made many mistakes...but did you know that your dad did not talk to me for over a year before and after Franci was born? I was so depressed that I did not feel like doing anything and I was suicidal, but I did get up finally, to feed you all after being up most of the night nursing Franci,and to have home school and to pay the bills and to just run the household with absolutely no help from your dad, and he would not talk to me nor touch me either! The rest of the story will be on my blog, if you want to know my side of the story...
    Next time I will comment on the cookie incident...chow, mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know why I erupted at you both of those times. The only reason I can think of was that you were the only one that pushed my button's to the breaking point. You were the parent that was there, who we interacted with the most. Of course we would have more issues with you.

      To me it makes perfect sense how I can say that I love you with all my heart, yet say I dislike aspects of your character. I hate the sins, not the sinner. These aspects of you I hate, but it doesn't change the fact that I love you. Love is unconditional. You are the one that taught me this. And I had plenty of nice things to say about you if you reread my posting. I'm sincerely sorry that I hurt your feelings, but this was never my intention. This are my feelings, how I see things. I appreciate the good things you said about me. But I know I am nowhere perfect.

      When I said you are never wrong...I meant that in your mind, all you do, and how you do it, is right. This is very wrong. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but it's the truth. When you describe the cookie incident, you will turn it so that it is about you and your feelings and that you were right in how you handled things. I already know this because this is how you operate.

      Delete
    2. You do manipulate, and no I'm sorry, a true manipulator does not always know when they are doing it. It becomes such a part of the person that they are unaware when it happens. And by self-centered I mean, it's always about you, your feelings. Instead of making it about the other person. These are harsh truths that you don't seem to be able to grasp. It's not always about you. I'm not saying you've never thought of us. You took good care of us..when you weren't doing things for your own life or getting us to a point where you could continue to pursue your own path. In some ways it seemed to me that you thought the world owed you a favor because of what you've been through, and believe me I know...we all knew, not a day went by that you didn't tell us something about your past. So a lot of your testimony I've already heard, but I'm still hoping to read some new stuff. I did know that dad didn't talk to you. I know all about dad's faults, why do you think our relationship is so estranged. And I believe you. I also remember your depression. We were there, I was there, I saw it all. How can I forget? I would cry myself to sleep several times during this period. I was already going to school after Franci was born, and it wasn't until the fourth grade that you pulled me to be homeschooled again and you still weren't around to truly teach me, I had to teach myself because you were too focused on you. These are the acts of a selfish, self-centered person. I'm sorry, but it's true. You are not alone though, Dad and Gina are the same, and I know this. Gina is probably sometimes worse than you. In conversations it's mostly about her. This is true of most people that I know. It seems I have extremely high expectations of people because I have been the giver. Thinking of the other person. Not wanting to get other people involved in my troubles. And for the most part, I've not minded. A simple thank you is what's been needed, nothing more. But I'm getting tired. That's why I stopped being the one to call, stopped initiating. Because I've been that person for the longest time. Worrying about my family, how they are doing, if they are surviving. And I know you've worried about me, and you pray for me. And before I forget, about your yelling, you may have hated it, and begged God to stop, but you didn't, you gave into your feelings and it sure seemed to us that you liked it and that you were never satisfied till it happened. Not a holiday went by that there wasn't some kind of incident that you yelled or cried, or both. I try to remember at least one holiday...I can't. I know dad was to blame for a lot of this, but it doesn't change the fact that you didn't react differently. We all have choices, you chose to give into your feelings, as most times. Since I can remember, you've let your feelings guide you instead of acting rationally.

      I want to say again, that despite all of these events of the past and the way you are, that I love you. I will never stop. You are my mother, and I love and appreciate all you've done for me and the way I've turned out. You and God are most responsible for this. Ciao, your son!

      Delete
    3. My Son, I would like to take this opportunity to appoligize to you and express my deep regrets on how much I have hurt you, neglected you, and not appreciated you! Please know that I never intended any of it! I want to express my heartfelt appreciation for helping me with the cookies, for being my wonderful, giving son...and you continue to be that kind of son! I'm so sorry that you suffered so...will you forgive me? I'm not going to defend myself afterall...there's no point...I pray that you will let me be your mother...I would love to have the best mother/son relationship possible. I love you Son, with all my heart! mom

      Delete
    4. There is no point in regret mother. The past cannot be changed, therefore there is no reason to live in it. I don't. I've forgiven you for everything and will always love you no matter what. There is nothing you've done or could possibly do to me to ever change my love for you. Of course you are my mother and always will be. I love you and always will till my dying breath. Your son,

      Josh

      Delete
  3. Joshy, I don't understand why you would put this up on a public site. This hurt Mama a lot. You know I love you, but I love Mama too, and this doesn't seem right. Please don't do this again. If this is brought up, I think it should be done privately, to at least respect her dignity as much as possible. What's done is done, but I hope this will help in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Franci, I love you my sister. But you cannot possibly begin to understand anything that has to do with my life. I put all this on a public site because this was the way I could finally get all this off my back. Otherwise it probably would have ended up in a published book. As I've already expressed to mom on numerous occasions, I was truly sorry I hurt her, but this had nothing to do with her. This was about me and my feelings and expressing myself. You know I love you and you should know I love mom and always will. But I will continue to express myself as I see fit. I've spent too much of my life worrying about the feelings of others or how people will react to my words of truth that I simply do not care any longer. These are truths as I've seen them and people will have to reserve their feelings to themselves whether they are ready to hear it or not. I see no reason to continue saying bad things about mom, but if they are to come up in subjects matters about my life in the future, then so be it. I love you both so much and can't wait to see you again soon!

      Josh

      Delete